One of the oldest brewers and distillers in Scotland, Tullibardine is located in Blackford, the gateway to the Highlands. It was here in 1488 that the young King James the 4th of Scotland stopped on his way to his coronation, to purchase beer from the local brewery. This is recorded as the first public purchase of an alcoholic beverage in the nation. In 1503, the brewery received the first Royal Charter issued by James 4th, in recognition of the fine beer produced at Tullibardine.
In addition to its location, the most important aspect of the distillery is the plentiful supply of fresh, spring water from the surrounding Ochil Hills. These hills were formed more than 400 million years ago with layers of basalt and red sandstone, and are well known for the gold that was mined from them. The water that reaches the distillery has taken 15 years to reach the Danny Burn, which is the spring where we take our water from. This is the same water bottled by the renowned mineral water company, Highland Spring.
In 1947, William Delme Evans began converting the original brewery buildings into a distillery. Two years later the first spirit was distilled at the newly named Tullibardine Distillery. The name in Gaelic means ‘lookout hill,’ and was taken from the small medieval chapel built in 1446, which is located near the distillery grounds.
Tullibardine began a new chapter in November 2011 when the distillery was purchased by an independent family company already involved in the Whisky Industry. There is no doubt that the future of Tullibardine is in safe hands.