Valdipiatta was founded in 1973, but it was not until Giulio Caporali purchased the property in 1990 that it began to earn a reputation for producing some of the finest Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. Through vision, determination and much hard work, Giulio transformed a small Tuscan farmhouse and its vineyard into a modern and successful winery. Not surprisingly, his program of renovation and revitalization began in the vineyards. After a studied, careful analysis of soil conditions, clonal selections, vine densities, and pruning systems, the vineyards were replanted with the aim of producing Prugnolo Gentile (the local name for Sangiovese) grapes of exceptional caliber. These same standards guided Giulio in the following years as he purchased additional vineyards in prime growing areas of Montepulciano. After he finished converting the vineyards, Giulio set about overhauling the cellar with the installation of the most up-to-date equipment and the introduction of small oak barrels from the finest French coopers. He then built an impressive underground cellar by digging deep into the tuffaceous rock of one of the property’s hillsides.
Location of Vineyard
Valdipiatta is located in southeastern Tuscany, between Rome and Florence, in the very heart of the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano appellation. The estate comprises 100 acres of land, at an average of 1200 feet above sea level. Of this, 86 acres are vineyard and an additional five acres are olive grove.
Valdipiatta’s wines are made exclusively from estate-grown fruit. Eighty percent of the vineyards are Sangiovese, the traditional Tuscan varietal. Native Canaiolo and Mammolo vines are also grown. In addition, a small amount of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Pinot Noir vines are grown to craft a handful of innovative and refined IGT wines. Vino Nobile di Montepulciano accounts for two thirds of Tenuta Valdipiatta's production. The grapes from seven different crus are harvested and vinified separately, then blended together to craft wines of exceptional character and complexity. Since 1998, the estate has collaborated with renowned oenologist Yves Glories from the University of Bordeaux.